At Vimy Ridge in 1917 subways became an integral part of the plan of attack for the forthcoming Arras Offensive on 9th April. By this date thirteen tunnels of varying length were in place by which the assaulting Battalions of the Canadian Corps could approach their assembly points in complete safety.
The GOODMAN SUBWAY - at 1,609 m the longest subway under the Vimy battlefront - was completed by 172 Company RE in November 1916. It links directly with its sister subway - GRANGE - via the fighting tunnels of the La Mining system.
In 2000 The Durand Group broke into the forward part of the subway lying within the Canadian memorial Site on Vimy ridge. A substantial blockage impeded further progress but in 2003 the Group excavated a shaft beyond the blockage and so began their journey underground towards the village of Neuville St Vaast.
The DVD is available in European (PAL) and US (NTSC) formats